Do I need to avoid certain foods when I have braces?
With some exceptions, you can stick to your usual diet. But you may need to make a few adjustments while getting used to your braces as some food might cause problems for your teeth or even damage your braces.
Dr. Lin has compiled a list of foods to avoid. There are also some suggestions how to eat some of these foods if you must eat them.
- Apples (cut it into wedges, don't bite into a whole apple.)
- Bubble gum (some orthodontists allow sugarless gum, check with yours for approval)
- Candy (caramels, taffy, nut brittles, fruit-flavored chewy candies, gummi anything!)
- Carrots (avoid sticks, cut into thin curls)
- Corn on the cob (remove the kernels from the cob, then enjoy!)
- Corn chips/crisp tacos
- Hard foods (they're tough on braces, causing bending and breaking)
- Ice (no crunching!)
- Lemon juice/lemons (pure lemon juice is very hard on your tooth enamel)
- Pizza crust/crusty breads (outer edges)
- Pretzels (the large, hard varieties)
- Sticky foods (can bend wires and pull off brackets)
- Sugary foods (avoid these as much as possible; if you do eat them, brush your teeth within minutes or as soon as possible, or at least rinse your mouth with water)
For more information about how we at Santana Park Dental Care in San Jose can help you with dental braces, call us at (855) 426-4249. We will be happy to talk with you.